I’ve been observing a lot more toxic business and entrepreneurial behaviour, a LOT more than I’ve seen in decades. This list is a brief overview of the top 5 toxic business culture indicators.
If you work at a company that has one of these, it’s a toxic workplace.
If you’re an entrepreneur and you have one or more of these things happening in your business, you’re part of the problem.
- Lack of Communication: Employees feel left out of important conversations, or there's a general lack of transparency.
- High Turnover Rate: If many employees leave the company quickly, it may indicate dissatisfaction with the work environment.
- Micro-management: Employees are not trusted to perform tasks independently and are constantly monitored.
- Lack of Employee Recognition: Employees feel unappreciated and their efforts go unnoticed.
- Unhealthy Competition: A culture that fosters too much competition, instead of collaboration, can create a hostile work environment.
A toxic business culture can be identified by lack of communication and transparency, high employee turnover rate, micro-management, lack of employee recognition, and an environment of unhealthy competition rather than collaboration.